Wednesday, August 31, 2011

How do you want to live your life?


My mom has given me the same advice for years: figure out how you want to live your life then the rest will fall into place. For years I thought I understood what that meant. I want to have a job and make a decent living, fall in love and eventually have a family. I want to be a good person that helps others. That’s a pretty broad idea of what I thought life should be, and until recently that’s about all I had.

As I mentioned before I moved away from my life and have jumped into an entirely new world. This transition has forced me to gain a new understanding of my mom’s advice. I don’t have an excuse to not consider how I really want to live. I’m not in school anymore. I don’t have the same church family. My life is new and different in every way.

Throughout my life I have seen high peaks and low pits of hell. I know where I don’t want to be. I know what kind of person that I never want to be again. I have tried on personalities like others try on clothes. I’m ready for the world to see me. I know who I am and I’ve always known but it was easier to try on those personalities. No one cared if I was me as long as I fit in. But everything has changed. Those simple words my mom has always said mean more.

So how do I want to live my life?

Well, I now have at least part of an answer: I want to be me. I don’t want to care what anyone else thinks of me because I know God created me the way I am for a fantastic reason. I want to love my God with all my heart and soul and I want that to shine through in my life. I want to help the world by showing people that politics is not scary and that not everyone in politics is terrible. I want to help people who can’t help themselves. I want to be a part of a revolution even if that means just writing about others in their fight for survival and bringing their fight and their courage to light in our country.  I want to be the best friend that I can be. I want to forgive and be forgiven. I want to laugh every single day. I want to fall in love. Most importantly I want to be happy everyday of my life, maybe not the entire day but at least part of it.

I know how I don’t want to live my life. I’ve already done that; I’ve already been that girl. Its time for me to take that advice to heart and live how I want to live and let everything else fall into place.

How do you want to live your life? It sounds like a simple question doesn’t it? Are you really living the life you want to?

No comments:

Post a Comment