Thursday, September 15, 2011

What's your love language?


So I’m almost finished with “The 5 Love Languages: Singles Edition”. Naturally I skipped to the end and took the assessment test before finishing the last chapter to find out what exactly my love language(s) was. This is what I found out:

My primary love language is Words of Affirmation. I kind of already knew this one. I truly do feel loved when people tell me nice things. I remember the good and the bad that people say to me and it is hard for me to let the bad go. The good things however, make me feel like I have just been given huge hug. Which leads right into my second most important love languages (two tied for second): physical touch and quality time. I love getting hugs and giving them. I feel like someone really cares about you when they are willing to hug you because let’s be honest it really is a super awkward thing to do if you think about it: “hey lets wrap our arms around each other and press our bodies together real tight for a second.” Awkward. But for some reason we still do this and I love it.

Of course quality time tied with physical touch. I feel like if physical touch is one of your love languages then quality time definitely is too because to have physical touch then you kind of have to have quality time. I love hanging out with the people I love and truly getting to know them and understand them and learn what they are all about.

Now I’ve realized from reading this book that I feel loved differently from different people in my life but for the most part they are basically the same. I mean I would feel less loved and more weirded out if one of my friends tried to cuddle with me during a movie but it would be completely normal feeling for a significant other to do that. Learning these languages makes me think about how they have effected each of my relationships; significant others, friends, and family. I have learned why I’ve become so frustrated with people before because I felt unloved by them but really they were just not speaking my language. It was unfair of me to become frustrated when someone didn’t understand how I felt loved or hurt.

I have also learned that I need to be more mindful of how people in my life feel loved. I need to learn how each of the people I love feel loved and learn to speak that language even if it is not my own. I’m excited to see how my relationships with my friends, family and everyone else I come in contact with can be helped and even repaired by learning to speak their love language.

I challenge everyone to find out what their love language is. It is a discovery that can change your heart for. My relationships will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment